SDCC - Small Device C Compiler
Work is in progress on supporting the Microchip PIC16 and PIC18 series. SDCC is Free Open Source Software.
- ASXXXX and ASLINK, a Freeware, retargettable assembler and linker.
- extensive MCU specific language extensions, allowing effective use of the underlying hardware.
- a host of standard optimizations such as global sub expression elimination, loop optimizations (loop invariant, strength reduction of induction variables and loop reversing ), constant folding and propagation, copy propagation, dead code elimination and jump tables for 'switch' statements.
- MCU specific optimizations, including a global register allocator.
- adaptable MCU specific backend that should be well suited for other 8 bit MCUs
- independent rule based peep hole optimizer.
- a full range of data types: char (8 bits, 1 byte), short (16 bits, 2 bytes), int (16 bits, 2 bytes), long (32 bit, 4 bytes) and float (4 byte IEEE).
- the ability to add inline assembler code anywhere in a function.
- the ability to report on the complexity of a function to help decide what should be re-written in assembler.
- a good selection of automated regression tests.
Cygnal (Silicon Labs) 8051 Port
The Cygnal port was developed on a C8051F120-TB prototyping board (instructions are provided should you wish to use an alternative development board) fitted with a 8051F120 microcontroller. The freeware SDCC compiler was used along with the Cygnal IDE.